Thursday, September 6, 2012

Dying Fabric with Red Wine: DIY Ombre Effect

The ombre trend has made a huge impact these past couple of years. People have been having their clothes ombred, their hair, and now they are incorporating it into design.



I honestly love this effect. It's beachy, bohemian, and care-free.

Today I had the idea of experimenting with dying fabric with what I have in my kitchen (which wasn't much, can't exactly dye fabric with meats, cheeses, lettuce, or goldfish!) The only thing I really had was a bottle of wine.



One that I don't really touch except for on weekends, deuted with half canberry juice. What can I say? I'm not much of an alocohol person! So needless to say I wouldn't miss it too much.

I did some research on wine dying and found that many attempts to dye with wine were temporary. Washing the fabric would wash the beautiful rose/lavender effect of the fabric. Well, for me, I thought maybe I'll make something that wouldn't have to be washed. Maybe a temporary sash for my curtains?

So my journey began...



I found an old white pillow case that was my husband's in our closet. It had a huge hole where the seeming was. Yep! Perfect "never-going-to-be-used-for-what-it-was-made-for" item!


So I poured a little wine in a pot and heated it on high until it started boiled. Then I set it to low.




 I dipped half of the pillow case into the pot, waited a few mintues, then lifted it until only the bottom of the case was in the wine. I also very chicly taped the top to my stove's vent so I could let it soak for two hours. Classy!


After waiting I took it out and let it air dry in the grass. I didn't know if it would stain my patio.



The end result was a beautiful and rich colored ombre effect.

The effect on a test strip after the washing machine was a slate grey where the red wine was. So really, its only a fabric stain. But would be perfect for things that don't need to washed often. Maybe curtains?

1 comment:

  1. The dye needs to be heat set. Put dry fabric in the dryer for 1/2 hour or wet fabric in oven (keeping a close eye) until dry and then follow with a hot iron. Then you shouldbe fine washing in cold water, seperate the first few times. This is true for anykind of dyeing. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete